Yay for homemade minestrone soup. I don’t think I need to tell you that this tastes better than anything you’d find in a can. I mostly followed this recipe, but did do some things differently as you can tell by the picture:
- instead of using a can of tomatoes, blended we used a can of diced tomatoes + all the liquid.
- we used 4 cups veg stock (homemade, so good, yay!) + 2 cups water
- we forgot to add the 1 TBS of tomato paste, bay leaf, and celery salt and definitely will next time
- we used 1/2 cup frozen green beans (the fresh ones didn’t look so great) instead of frozen peas
- we used 2 carrots instead of 1
- added 1 large celery rib, thinly sliced
- added 1 can each of kidney beans and chickpeas, both drained and rinsed thoroughly
- we used about 1/2 dry thyme but probably could have used a smidge more, we will also probably add some other dried herbs next time too, maybe an Italian blend…
And yes, I suppose I have trouble following directions as is, but it’s just soup, it’s adaptable and can be changed. This soup is awesome and perfect for cooler weather!